This beautiful piece of contemporary art draws inspiration from the folklore of the mythical phoenix and its flames. We recommend a navy blue/black velvet background and golden/yellow thread. It is surprisingly easy to make. See the step by step instructions below.
- A circular board of diameter 26 inches.
- 55 strong pins or nails and a hammer to fix the pins.
- Thread, strong enough to hold atleast 1kg of weight. You can choose color of your choice.
Optional efforts to make the art look better
- You can choose a nice velvet cloth or paint your board with a nice color for a good background
Now let's make this!
- Draw a circle of radius 12.5 inches from center of the board. Circumference is around 200 cms.
- Pick a starting point on the circumference, lets call it 0. Now starting from 0, keep fixing pins on the circumference of the circle at a space of 5cm till you finish pinning 35 pins down on the board. So if you number your pins, it will be 0, 1, 2, 3, ...33, 34.
- There will be a decent space of 20 cms lefts. Now starting from 34th pin, along the circumeference, start fixing pins with a space of 1 cm till you reach the point 0. Lets call these pins 35, 36,....55.
- There are 2 types of pins now: Those which are spaced at 5cms and others spaced at 1cm.
- Now tie the thread to 0th pin and pass the thread around the pins as per following rule:
- For each pin from 35 to 55(i.e. the ones placed 1 cm apart), pass the thread starting from 0, around the pin and back to 0. For example 0->35->0->36->0->37->0...->54->0->55
- Take the thread from pin 55 to 1. Starting from 1, repeat the process in the previous step like 1->35->1->36->1->37->1...->54->1->55.
- Take the thread from pin 55 to 2. Starting from 2, repeat the process in the previous step like 2->35->2->36->2->37->2...->54->2->55.
- Repeat the process for all the pins from 3rd to 34th as you did for 0th, 1st and 2nd pins.
- If you did it right, the last segment of the thread should be from pin 34th to pin 55th. Now tie a knot at pin 55, cut off excess thread and you are done.